Outside the street block of Wuzhen Beizha, the Diversion Pier is in the east of the junction of Chexi River, Lanxi River and Hengjing Port. Therefore, it was so called the Diversion Pier. At the very beginning, there was no pavilion, and it was just a Highlands in Water. The "pier" was also a mound, which was used as a "Fengshui" facility. It is situated at the confluence of three rivers and the boundary of two provinces, three prefectures and seven counties, so its geographical position is very important.
It is difficult for boats to pass at the confluence of the three rivers, where the water surface is wide and flow rapid. The water there is ample even in dry seasons, with waves rolling in strong wind. There is no textual research on literature and history about when did the mound exist. According to records, " when the Song Dynasty, there was a compass for guiding", indicating navigation. In the early years of the Ming Dynasty (1573), Luo Duo, believed in the "Mr. Feng Shui", believing that this "place is the end of two towns, and it is necessary to set up a barrier to stop the wind". So he advocated building a pavilion on the pier for the statue of Wenchangjun. Wen Changjun, also known as Wen Changxing, is the God who dominates the world, representing fame and fortune, and is also the idol of those who devote themselves to study and become an official. Luo Dou had a good reputation, and this effort also made the locals to worship him. The money for building materials was quickly prepared. The old piers would be "slightly extended to the east, built with stone ports, and surrounded by stone railings", "with Xiao Dragon King's Statue Built under the pavilion". The Xiao Dragon King ruled inland rivers and lakes, and could protect ships. It is inferred that the pavilion on the pier was completed in June, the ninth year of Wanli in Ming Dynasty.
Later, Sub-prefect Quan Tingxun and Yu Kun and Vice Censor-in-chief Xu Ruze advocated for donation to repair the pier. These local officials regarded the maintenance of water distribution piers as a good thing for the benefit of the people. Later Xu Guannan rebuilt the water dividison pier after he advocated the construction of the Santa Pagoda in the eighth year of the Republic of China (1919), with the help of Village Manager Lu Xuepu and others.
After the regional and institutional changes, the two provinces and three prefectures (cities) remain the same. However, the seven counties have changed to four cities: Wujiang, Jiaxing, Wuxing (now known as Huzhou) and Tongxiang.Keyword: Water Diversion Pier in Wuzhen